Skip to main content
Release Date :
Reference Number :
2024-SSO-016

RICE

As of 01 January 2024, the country’s total rice stocks inventory was estimated at 2.03 million metric tons. This exhibits an annual increase of 9.6 percent from the 1.85 million metric tons inventory in the same period of the previous year.

Month-on-month, the     volume of rice stocks inventory recorded an increment of 6.9 percent from the previous month’s inventory of 1.90 million metric tons. (Figure 1 and Table 1)

Figure 1. Inventory of Rice Stocks, Philippines  
January 2023, December 2023, and January 2024p  

This month’s rice stocks inventories registered an annual increase of 50.0 percent in the commercial sector relative to its corresponding level in the same period of 2023. Meanwhile, annual declines of 57.6 percent in NFA depositories and 7.7 percent in the household sector was recorded.

In comparison to the December 2023 rice stocks levels, month-on-month increase was noted in the commercial sector by 14.8 percent, and in the household sector by 1.4 percent. On the other hand, rice stocks inventory from the NFA depositories decreased by 14.8 percent.

Of this month's total rice stocks, 49.4 percent were from the households, 48.2 percent were from the commercial sector, and 2.4 percent were from the NFA depositories. (Table 1)

Table 1. Level and Percent Change of Rice Stocks by Sector  
Philippines: January 2023, December 2023, and January 2024p  

 

CORN

As of 01 January 2024, the total corn stocks inventory reached 597.62 thousand metric tons. This indicates an increase of 45.9 percent from the 409.49 thousand metric tons level in the same period of 2023.

Corn stocks inventory exhibited a decrement of 12.9 percent relative to its previous month’s inventory level of 685.89 thousand metric tons. (Figure 2 and Table 2)

Figure 2. Inventory of Corn Stocks, Philippines  
January 2023, December 2023, and January 2024p  

From the same month of the previous year’s level, corn stocks inventory in the commercial sector recorded an annual increase of 63.5 percent. On the other hand, household inventory declined by 27.6 percent.

Relative to the inventory level in December 2023, the volume of corn stocks in the commercial and household sectors registered month-on-month decreases of 4.8 percent and 51.6 percent, respectively.

About 90.5 percent of this month’s total corn stocks inventory were from the commercial sector, while the remaining 9.5 percent were from the households. (Table 2)

Table 2. Level and Percent Change of Corn Stocks by Sector  
Philippines: January 2023, December 2023, and January 2024p  

 

 

DIVINA GRACIA L. DEL PRADO, PhD  
Assistant Secretary  
Deputy National Statistician  
Sectoral Statistics Office

Related Contents

Rice and Corn Stocks Inventory, December 2023

As of 01 December 2023, the country's total rice stocks inventory was estimated at 1.90 million metric tons. This exhibits an annual decrease of 25.2 percent from the 2.53 million metric tons…

Rice and Corn Stocks Inventory, November 2023

As of 01 November 2023, the country’s total rice stocks inventory was estimated at 1.98 million metric tons. This exhibits an annual decrease of 25.3 percent from the 2.65 million metric tons level…

Rice and Corn Stocks Inventory, October 2023

As of 01 October 2023, the country’s total rice stocks inventory was estimated at 2.04 million metric tons. This exhibits an annual decrease of 1.9 percent from the 2.08 million metric tons level in…