PSA Approves the Conduct of the Metalworking Industry Survey - A Focus on Advanced Welding
The Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) approved the conduct of the Metalworking Industry Survey - A Focus on Advanced Welding by the Metals Industry Research and Development Center (MIRDC). The MIRDC is an attached agency of the Department of Science and Technology (DOST), which is mandated to provide both the government and the private sector in the metals and engineering industry with professional management and technical expertise on training of engineers and technicians, information exchange, trade accreditation services, quality control and testing of metal products, research and development, and business economics advisory services.
The survey aims to determine the present condition of the metalworking companies with advanced welding process. Specifically, the survey will also:
- define the current set of market and market segments served by metalworking companies employing advanced welding technologies;
- examine how metalworking companies playing in the advanced welding arena are able to build their competitive advantage; and
- explore business growth opportunities for both metalworking companies with advanced welding technologies and investors who are looking for potential markets to go into.
Major data items to be collected in the survey will include the following:
- general information about the enterprise;
- industry and innovation statistics such as employment;
- market and market segments;
- annual production and sales and cost;
- technical profile such as processes employed, equipment, instruments utilized and raw materials used;
- problems, issues and other concerns encountered; and
- business outlook, expectations and plans for the industry in the next five years.
A total of 72 companies with advanced welding technologies located in Region IV-A - CALABARZON) will be interviewed in the survey. Based on the original MIRDC timetable, the survey is scheduled to be conducted from 01 June 2020 to 30 September 2020, while the results of the survey are expected to be released in December 2020. However, due to prevailing public health concerns on Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19), the implementation of the survey may be delayed. In this regard, an announcement will be issued if there will be changes in the schedule of survey operations.
The survey was reviewed and cleared for conduct under the Statistical Survey Review and Clearance System (SSRCS), a mechanism being implemented by the PSA by virtue of Rule 28 of Implementing Rules and Regulations of Republic Act No. 10625 to:
- ensure sound design for data collection,
- minimize the burden placed upon respondents,
- effect economy in statistical data collection,
- eliminate unnecessary duplication of statistical data collection efforts, and
- achieve better coordination of government statistical activities.
In line with this, the PSA enjoins the welding companies with advanced welding technologies in Region IV-A (CALABARZON) to participate in the survey.
For further information on SSRCS, please contact the Statistical Standards Division of the Standards Service with telephone numbers
(02) 8376-1928 and (02) 8376-1931, and email address: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
CLAIRE DENNIS S. MAPA, Ph.D.
National Statistician and Civil Registrar General
See more at the Statistical Survey Review and Clearance System (SSRCS) landing page.