PSA Grants Clearance to the Conduct of the National Survey on Mental Health and Well-Being Phase II
On 20 February 2020, the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) approved the conduct of the National Survey on Mental Health and Well-Being (NSMHW) Phase II of the Philippine Council for Health Research and Development (PCHRD), in partnership with the University of the Philippines - Manila (UP Manila), which will undertake the field operations.
The results of the NSMHW will be used to estimate the national and regional lifetime and 12-month prevalence of selected mental, neurological, and substance use (MNS) disorders among Filipinos. Further, the survey will determine the impact of these conditions as well as the health services utilization among those with MNS disorders.
The data items to be collected in the survey include the following:
- National and regional lifetime and 12-month prevalence of the MNS disorders such as schizophrenia, depression, bipolar disorders, anxiety disorders, alcohol and substance abuse, and neurological disorders
- Household characteristics and respondent's socio-demographic characteristics (age, gender, urban/rural residence, marital status, ethnicity, educational attainment, employment status, living arrangements, migrant status in place of residence)
- Level of exercise, nutritional status, smoking, alcohol consumption, misuse of medications and comorbidity
- Respondents' concentration, emotional and social difficulties, and disability status
- Respondents' health service utilization
The survey will be divided into two (2) phases. Phase 1 will cover nine (9) out of 17 regions, namely: NCR, Regions I, III, IVA, V, VI, VII, IX, and XI, whil Phase 2 will cover the remaining regions. The data will be collected from 22,185 households for 17 regions with field operations starting from February to October 2020.
A total budget amounting to PHP 40.1 million will be utilized to cover personal services, maintenance and other operating expenses (MOOE) such as travelling expenses, supplies, and printing of materials.
Results of the survey are expected to be released in November 2020.
The PSA clearance for the conduct of NSMHW is pursuant to the Statistical Survey Review and Clearance System (SSRCS), a mechanism being implemented by the PSA by virtue of Rule 28 of the Implementing Rules and Regulations (IRR) of Republic Act (RA) No. 10625 to:
- ensure sound design for data collection,
- minimize the burden placed upon respondents,
- effect economy in statistical data collection,
- eliminate unnecessary duplication of statistical data collection efforts, and
- achieve better coordination of government statistical activities.
In line with this, the PSA enjoins the public to support the said survey.
For further, information on SSRCS, please contact the Statistical Standards Division (SSD) of the Standards Service (SS) at telephone numbers
(02) 8376-1928 and (02) 8376-1931, and email address firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
For inquiries on the survey, please contact the PCHRD and UP Manila at telephone numbers (02) 8837-7534 and (02) 8536-1368, respectively.
CLAIRE DENNIS S. MAPA, Ph.D.
National Statistician and Civil Registrar General
See more at the Statistical Survey Review and Clearance System (SSRCS) landing page.