Majority of establishments are involved in hospital activities and medical and dental practices
There were 27,822 health and social work establishments covered by the 2000 Census of Philippine Business and Industry (CPBI). Most of these establishments, 27, 254 or 97.96 percent had an average total employment (ATE) of less than 20 while only 568 or 2.04 percent had ATE of more than 20. See Table 1 for summary statistics for all health and social work establishments.
Establishments involved in hospital activities and medical and dental practices (PSIC N851) comprised the biggest number with 27,285 or 98.07 percent of the total count for the sector. The rest were engaged in veterinary activities (PSIC N852) with 408 and social work activities (PSIC N853) with 129.
On the regional level, the National Capital Region (NCR) accounted for 9,494 or 34.12 percent of the total establishment count while Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) had the least number with 50 or a mere 0.18 percent. Figure 1 shows the distribution of health and social work establishments by region.
Employment is highest in establishments engaged in hospital activities and medical and dental practices
Total employment reached 135,037 of which 131,349 or 97.27 percent worked in establishments engaged in hospital activities and medical and dental practices. The remaining 3,688 or 2.73 percent were hired by those engaged in veterinary and social work activities. Distribution of employment by industry is displayed in Figure 2.
As expected NCR recorded the most number of workers with 56,540 while ARMM registered only 208, the lowest among the regions.
Average monthly compensation per paid employee is P5,634
Compensation paid amounted to P7.05 billion in 1999. This translates to an average monthly compensation of P5,634 per paid employee.
By industry group, establishments engaged in social work activities paid the highest average monthly compensation to each employee at P7,644. Those working in establishments involved in hospital activities and medical & dental practices received average monthly compensation of P5,606 while employees of veterinary activities establishments got an average of P4,272.
Total revenue earned by the sector amounted to P29.2 billion. Of the total P28.5 billion or 97.61 percent was generated by establishments providing hospital activities and medical and dental practices. The remaining 2.39 percent was contributed by the rest of the establishments in the health and social work sector. Distribution of revenue by industry is shown in Figure 3.
Costs excluding compensation paid to employees summed up to almost P15.6 billion.
Among the regions, NCR spent the most accounting for P8.5 billion or 54.88 percent of the total cost.
Labor productivity per worker is P0.216 million
Revenue per worker, a measure of labor productivity was valued at P0.216 million. The highest labor productivity at P0.233 million was attained by establishments engaged in social work activities. On the other hand, establishments engaged in veterinary activities exhibited the lowest productivity at P0.115 million. Figure 4 shows some economic indicators for the sector. See also Table R1 to R3 for other economic indicators.
(Sgd.) CARMELITA N. ERICTA
Scope and Coverage:
The 2000 Census of Philippine Business and Industry (CPBI) formerly known as Census Establishments (CE) was conducted to collect benchmark information on economic activities in the entire country for the year 1999. Covered were establishments engaged in economic activities as defined under the 1994 Philippine Standard Industrial Classification (PSIC). These establishments were classified into 14 sectors, one of which is on health and social work (Sector N). The sector is composed of establishments engaged in hospital activities and medical and dental practices (N851), veterinary activities (N852) and social work activities (N853).
All health and social work establishments nationwide with average total employment (ATE) of 20 and over were covered on a 100 percent basis and those with ATE of less than 20 were selected using probability proportional to size sampling.
A total of 942 or 71.58 percent responded out of the 1,149 samples drawn for the sector. Adjustments for non-response were made through imputations.
Concepts and Definition of Terms
Establishment - an economic unit which engaged under a single ownership or control, i.e. one or predominantly one kind of economic activity at a single fixed physical location.
Average total employment (ATE) - the sum of the number of persons who worked in or for the establishment for all months of the year divided by 12 regardless of the number of months the establishment was in operation.
Paid employees - all persons working in the establishments receiving pay as well as those working away from the establishment when paid by and under the control of the establishments.
Unpaid workers - persons working without regular pay for at least one-third of the working time normal to the establishment.
Salaries and wages - payments whether in cast or in kind, prior to deduction for employees contribution to SSS/GSIS, withholding tax, and the like, to all employees. Included are total basic pay, overtime pay, and benefits.
Revenue - includes cash received and receivable for goods sold and services rendered.
Cost - refers to all expenses incurred during the year whether paid or payable. Excluded are depreciation, donations and contributions, bad debts, income tax, salaries and wages and loss.
Gross additions to fixed assets - the sum of cost of new and used fixed assets acquired during the year, cost of alteration and improvements done by others and cost of fixed assets produced by the establishment less the value of sales of fixed assets during the year.
Change in inventories - the value of ending inventory less the value of beginning inventory.
Subsidies - special grants in the form of financial assistance or tax exemption or tax privilege given by the government to develop an industry or production and to protect it against competition.
Source: National Statistics Office