Cattle Situation Report, January-March 2020

Reference Number: 

2020-126

Release Date: 

Wednesday, July 1, 2020

The total cattle production from January to March 2020 is estimated at 61.02 thousand metric tons, liveweight. It decreased by 0.5 percent compared with the 2019 same quarter output of 61.31 thousand metric tons, liveweight.

Compared with their levels in the same period of 2019, nine regions recorded decreases in production during the period. CALABARZON reported the biggest decline of 4.2 percent, from 4.78 thousand metric tons, liveweight in the same period of 2019 to 4.58 thousand metric tons, liveweight this quarter.

Among regions, Northern Mindanao was the highest producer of cattle during the quarter with 9.80 thousand metric tons, liveweight. This was followed by Ilocos Region and Central Visayas with corresponding productions of 7.18 thousand metric tons, liveweight and 6.17 thousand metric tons, liveweight. These three regions shared 38.0 percent to the country’s total cattle production. (Figure 1 and Table 1)

 

 

As of 01 January 2020, the total cattle inventory in the country was 2.54 million heads, 0.3 percent higher than the 2.54 million heads recorded in the same period of the previous year. Of the total cattle inventory, 94.1 percent were raised in backyard farms while the remaining 5.9 percent were from commercial farms.

Among all ages, cows accounted for 43.4 percent of the total cattle population.  Heifers shared 18.9 percent to the total cattle count while the remaining 37.6 percent were combined population of yearlings, bulls, and cattles of other ages. (Figure 2 and Table 2)

 

 

The average farmgate price of cattle for slaughter from January to March 2020 was recorded at PhP 119.17 per kilogram, liveweight. This was 9.0 percent higher than the 2019 same quarter price level of PhP 109.34 per kilogram, liveweight.

The highest average farmgate price of cattle for slaughter was quoted in March at PhP 121.10 per kilogram, liveweight while the lowest was noted in February at PhP 117.47 per kilogram, liveweight. (Figure 3 and Table 3)

 

 

 

DENNIS S. MAPA, Ph.D.
Undersecretary
National Statistician and Civil Registrar General

 

 

 

 

TECHNICAL NOTES

This Cattle Situation Report presents the cattle industry in terms of volume of production, inventory by age group, and average farmgate price. The report is prepared to serve as a ready reference for PSA’s various clients and stakeholders in the agriculture sector. It is released quarterly in January, May, August, and November every year.

Concepts and Definitions

Volume of production refers to the volume of locally-raised cattle disposed for slaughter including those which were shipped out to other regions/provinces for slaughter. This is expressed in metric ton, liveweight.

Inventory refers to the actual number of cattle present in the farm as of a specific reference date.

Farmgate price refers to the price received by raisers for their produce at the location of farm. Thus, the marketing costs such as the transport and other marketing cost (if any) incurred in selling the produce is not included in the farmgate prices.

Attachment: