Carabao Situation Report, January-March 2020

Reference Number: 

2020-129

Release Date: 

Wednesday, July 1, 2020

The total carabao production from January to March 2020 was estimated at 29.81 thousand metric tons, liveweight.  This was 1.9 percent lower than the 2019 same quarter output of 30.40 thousand metric tons, liveweight.

Relative to their levels a year ago, 10 regions recorded decreases in production during the quarter. In terms of growth rate, Eastern Visayas reported the biggest decline of 5.5 percent, from 1.10 thousand metric tons, liveweight in the same period of 2019 to 1.04 thousand metric tons, liveweight this quarter.

Among regions, Western Visayas was the highest producer of carabao during the quarter with 5.40 thousand metric tons, liveweight. This was followed by Ilocos Region and Bicol Region with corresponding productions of 2.59 thousand metric tons, liveweight and 2.47 thousand metric tons, liveweight. These three regions accounted for 35.1 percent of the country’s total carabao production. (Figure1 and Table 1)

 

 

 

As of 01 January 2020, the total carabao inventory in the country was estimated at 2,865.72 thousand heads or 0.3 percent lower than the 2019 same period count of 2,873.56 thousand heads. Of the total carabao inventory, 99.6 percent were raised in backyard farms while the remaining 0.4 percent were from commercial farms.

Among all ages, caracow constituted 40.5 percent of the total carabao population, carabull shared 27.2 percent while the remaining 32.2 percent were combined share of yearling, caraheifer, and carabaos of other ages. (Figure 2 and Table 2)

 

 

 

The average farmgate price of carabao for slaughter from January to March 2020 was recorded at PhP 97.46 per kilogram, liveweight. This was 0.1 percent higher than the 2019 same period price level of PhP 97.35 per kilogram, liveweight.

The highest farmgate price of carabao for slaughter was quoted in January at PhP 99.40 per kilogram, liveweight while the lowest was in March at PhP 93.95 per kilogram, liveweight. (Figure 3 and Table 3)

 

 

 

 

DENNIS S. MAPA, Ph.D.
Undersecretary
National Statistician and Civil Registrar General

 

 

 

 

TECHNICAL NOTES

This Carabao Situation Report presents the carabao industry in terms of volume of production, inventory by age group, and average farmgate price. The report is prepared to serve as a ready reference for PSA’s various clients and stakeholders in the agriculture sector. It is released quarterly in January, May, August, and November every year.

Concepts and Definitions

Volume of production refers to the volume of locally-raised carabao disposed for slaughter including those which were shipped out to other regions/provinces for slaughter. This is expressed in metric ton, liveweight.

Inventory refers to the actual number of carabao present in the farm as of a specific reference date.

Farmgate price refers to the price received by raisers for their produce at the location of farm. Thus, the marketing costs such as the transport and other marketing cost (if any) incurred in selling the produce is not included in the farmgate prices.

 

 

 

Attachment: